Young man’s legs amputated for eating leftovers from the day before

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

In USAa young man of 19 years had to have both legs amputated after he contracted a bacterial infection because he ate leftovers from the day before. This was reported by the scientific journal The New England Journal of Medicine.

In said report, it was revealed that the young man went to emergencies in a hospital New England, USAreporting strong abdominal pain and nausea.

The young man had to have both legs amputated.

When questioned by the doctors, the young man explained that he had eaten noodles, chicken and rice of a meal that he had kept at home after going to a restaurant the day before.

Among the symptoms he reported, he said he had chest pain, shortness of breath, blurred vision, general weaknessplus multiple episodes of vomiting and fever.

When the young man presented purple discoloration on his skin, he was transferred to the Hospital General of Massachusetts and was treated by shock, organ failure and skin blemishesexplained the magazine report The New England Journal of Medicine.

The diagnosis worsened when the spots began to spread throughout the body of the young This situation caused necrosis in the arms, legs and gangrene, which finally led to the amputation of both legs below the knee and parts of the 10 fingers of his hands.

The doctors’ diagnosis was that the young man caught a bacterial infection potentially normal called Neisseria meningitidis.

The bacterium identified in Argentina causes Legionnaires' disease, authorities said.  |  Shutterstock
Doctors found a dangerous bacterium | Shutterstock

What is Neisseria meningitidis?

According to Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) the Neisseria meningitidis It is one of the most important bacteria causing meningitis worldwide.

up to some 20% of survivors may have a permanent sequel. The most common sequel is sensorineural hearing loss. Other important sequelae are: language disorders, mental retardation, motor abnormalities, seizures, visual or loss of an arm or legin cases of meningococcemia.



Related Articles

Back to top button