This morning Apple has presented the App Store Awards, the awards that recognize the best applications in the App Store for this year. In 2022, the list includes few surprises, and brings us a selection of already well-known apps that, precisely, stand out for the excellence of their design and operation.
Along with them, Apple has also announced the applications that receive recognition from App Store editors for their cultural impact. An award category highlighting five winners for their influence both culturally and with the lives of people.
A distinction for apps whose development teams go beyond what is pre-established
In total, therefore, 16 awards have been delivered. Five for applications, six for games and five for applications with a high cultural impact. Without further ado, let’s move on to the full list of all awardees:
- iPhone App of the Year: BeRealfrom BeReal.
- iPad App of the Year: Good Notes 5of Time Base Technology Limited.
- Mac App of the Year: MacFamilyTree 10from Synium Software GmbH.
- Apple TV App of the Year: ViXfrom TelevisaUnivision Interactive, Inc.
- Apple Watch App of the Year: Gentle Streakby Gentler Stories LLC.
Along with these winners, we find the list of the five applications that have received the award for its impact on society and culture. Apps that “encourage users to engage more deeply with their emotions, connect authentically with others, and pay homage to their heritage and the generations that came before them as they imagine how to create a better world today.” The list of winners is as follows:
- How We Feel, by How We Feel Project, Inc.: How We Feel is an app that encourages users to reflect on their emotional well-being through simple daily check-ins. Thus, it helps users put into words their most difficult emotions and offers strategies to manage those emotions in the moment.
- Dot’s Homefrom Rise-Home Stories Project: Dot’s Home highlights systemic housing injustices and the resulting impact on communities of color through a compelling and thoughtful account of time travel.
- locker widget, by Locket Labs, Inc. – Locket Widget allows users to send photos directly to their friends and family’s home screen. Thus, it is possible to relate more closely with loved ones, far from the pressures of social networks.
- waterflameby Vitalii Mogylevets: With a colorful design and simple guidelines, Waterllama relies on creative challenges, reminders, and cute characters to make meeting the drinking water goal fun and consistent.
- Inua – A Story in Ice and Timeby ARTE Experience: Inua – A Story in Ice and Time is an exciting mystical adventure in which users walk through historical events that mix elements of Inuit traditions and folklore with extraordinary stories.
It has been more than 10 years since the celebration of the App Store Awards began. Some awards with which Apple recognizes the exceptional work of the developers of the App Store. “In recognition of the impact of the award-winning development teams, each will receive a physical prize inspired by the emblematic blue icon of the App Store. This handcrafted award features the App Store logo etched into the 100% recycled aluminum used to make Apple products, along with the winner’s name etched on the other side.”
Without a doubt, all recognition for the winners and also a guide of recommendations for us, the users. A guide to applications that we will undoubtedly enjoy on our different devices and that show us what apps are capable of when your development teams go above and beyond.
In Applesphere | From iWeb to FrontRow: The macOS apps we once had and now miss