(CNN) –– South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) reported that North Korea fired at least one unidentified ballistic missile into the waters off the east coast of the Korean peninsula. For its part, Japan’s prime minister’s office said the missile flew over Japan and has already landed in the Pacific Ocean.
Japan’s prime minister’s office tweeted: “Missile launch. Missile launch. Missile believed to be launched from North Korea. Evacuate to building or underground.”
Japan says the areas under alert are Miyagi, Yamagata and Niigata prefectures.
Minutes later another tweet was posted saying: “Missile passed. Missile passed. Missile is believed to have passed into the Pacific Ocean at approximately 7:48am. If you see anything suspicious, stay away and immediately contact police.” Or the fire department.
The Japan Coast Guard also sent an alert to ships in the areas saying that “North Korea fired the possible missile, we urge you to be vigilant for more information, do not approach them and report the relevant information to the Coast Guard if you find any object”.
By CNN’s count, this is the 30th missile launch so far this year, including ballistic and cruise missiles.
It also happens a day after North Korea will fire 23 different types of missiles.
One of the missiles Pyongyang launched on Wednesday was a short-range ballistic missile. which landed near the territorial waters of South Korea for the first time since the division of Korea, the Seoul Joint Chiefs of Staff said.
North Korea’s warning
North Korea’s actions come after this Monday ask the United States and South Korea to halt large-scale military exercises in the region, a North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said in a statement at the time.
“The situation on and around the Korean peninsula has re-entered the phase of serious power confrontation due to the unremitting and reckless military moves of the United States and South Korea,” the statement read.
South Korea and the United States began a series of large-scale military air exercises on Monday to strengthen deterrence against potential North Korean provocations. The drills will include more than 100 fighter jets and will take place over South Korean airspace from Oct. 31 to Nov. 4.
The spokesman also warned that the North Korean government could take “more powerful response measures” if the drills continue.