business

Most of the fiber has not been deployed by Movistar, Orange, Vodafone and Yoigo lately

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

Over the years, things have changed quite a bit. According to the latest data published by the National Markets and Competition Commission, they are not the big operators like Movistar, Orange, Vodafone or Yoigo those in charge of deploy most of the fiber which has expanded throughout Spain in the last two years, specifically from the first quarter of 2020 to the first of 2022.

Of 100% of the new fiber that has been deployed in Spain, these large operators they only have 35% of the new accesses NGN-type broadband (fiber or cable) that has been reaching Spanish homes. So, who has deployed the remaining 65% of the fiber in our country?

Which operator has deployed more fiber

During these last two data, according to CNMC data, of the 14.7 million new accesses that have been deployed by Spanish households, a part has been thanks to digi, the fifth operator. And it is that neither Movistar, Orange nor Vodafone or Yoigo have managed to reach the figures of this company. Although, we must also take into account the effort made by wholesale residential fiber companies (Fiberco) or local operators in rural areas.

Therefore, if we sum up the deployment carried out by Digi and the rest of the local operators, we can see how they contribute 9.14 million of the 14.17 million new accesses that have been installed. This supposes 64.48% of all new deployments in these last two years. In summary, these are the data collected by the CNMC:

  • Digi: has achieved 2.93 million new accesses, corresponding to 20.7% of the total.
  • Wholesale operators: 6.20 million new accesses, that is, they have managed to obtain 43.7% of the total number of new deployments. Among these companies we can find the operators Avatel, Adamo or groups such as Lyntia Access or Fi Networks, as well as very local telecommunications operators such as Redi, Asteo or Rede Aberta.

Fiber deployment of the big four operators

In the case of Telefónica, that is, Movistar, it has managed to deploy 3.63 million of that total, for which it reaches 25.6%. Although, despite the fact that its network is the largest in Spain, and in March 2022 it reached 27.71 million homes, these data reflect that its growth is slowing down in front of the rest. Something similar has happened with Orange, since in these two years it has added 1.30 million, being only 9.2% of the total.

fiber optic deployment

On the part of Vodafone, there is little to say, since they have paralyzed fiber deployments for a long time. And finally, we are left the MoreMobile group, in which we find Yoigo. This company has added 2.64 million accesses in the last two years. However, that rise also it is due to Euskaltelsince during the first quarter of 2020 it already had 2.56 million accesses.

In any case, if we take into account the data only from this last year, Digi beats Movistar when it comes to being the operator that has brought fiber to more Spanish homes in the last 12 months. And it also obviously beats Orange and Vodafone.

Related Articles

Back to top button