We explain all the possible methods to change the Windows 11 icons on your computer.
After telling you how enable transparency effects in windows 11 and what do you have to do to adjust the screen resolution so that the system adapts to your monitorIt’s time to talk about icon size. Is it possible to change the dimensions of this interface element? We will get to know it in the following sections.
In this guide we are going to tell you how to change icon size in windows 11 in four different ways. You will soon realize that each one allows you to alter the appearance of the icons in different sections of the system. Do you want to fully customize your team? Follow us.
How to change the size of icons in Windows 11 on the desktop
The desk is the space above the wallpaper, that is, the wallpaper. There you will find important shortcuts, such as the Recycle Bin or This PC. It’s also a good place to drop files or create shortcuts to apps you use often.
Desktop icons can be enlarged or reduced on demand, depending on the needs of each one. All you have to do is this:
- Right click on an empty space on the desktop to open the main menu.
- Select the menu Watch to see all the options.
- Choose the size of the icons.
- Repeat this method as many times as necessary to find the size that works best for you.
Alternatively, once you have opened this menu, you can change the size of the icons with these keyboard shortcuts:
- Control + Shift + 2 for large icons.
- Control + Shift + 3 for medium icons (this is the default option).
- Control + Shift + 4 for small icons.
Change the size of the icons in Windows 11 by scaling the screen
Windows 11 lets you zoom in or out EVERYBODY interface elements thanks to the scaling configuration. It is important that we emphasize this idea: with this adjustment the size of the text, the applications and other elements are modified.
Our recommendation is that you use it for change icon size in windows 11 if you have difficulty seeing the content on the screen. How can you do it?
- Open system settings.
- Enter the section System.
- click on Screen.
- go to Scale and layout.
- in line Scaleclick the dropdown.
The usual thing is that there is an option recommended by Windows and that it is activated. Select a higher value to enlarge the icons and the rest of the elements and a lower value to achieve the opposite effect.
After configuring our test equipment with a 175% scale, the result is what can be seen in the image above. Everything is much bigger.
Change icon size in file explorer
The penultimate method that we propose to resize windows 11 icons is related to the File Browser. In this system tool you can also change the dimensions of the elements to view them more easily.
If you visit the menu Watch you have these options at your disposal:
- very large icons. This is the view with the largest icons. It is perfect for folders in which there are photos.
- big icons. A perfect modality to see the icons well.
- medium icons. It is the default view of the file explorer.
- small icons. Reduced mode for folder icons.
- Ready. The elements of a directory appear in the form of a list.
- Details. It is similar to the previous one, but in this case details are included next to the icons.
- Mosaics. The icons are similar in size to medium, but include additional elements.
- Contents. The files appear as a list, but with large spaces between them.
Remember that the changes you make only apply to the directory you are in. For modify this value in all foldersgo to the display options and apply the desired settings for all folders.
Change the size of icons on the taskbar
Previously, there was a trick to change the size of the icons in the Windows 11 taskbar. This consisted of modifying the system registry to alter this value. Our tests reveal that the method does not work, but it may work for you if you have a version prior to ours.
It is done like this:
- Open the Windows’ register from the system search.
- go to the route ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced.
- create within Advanced a new DWORD (32-bit) value.
- To the new value, put it as a name TaskbarYes.
- Double click on it and Value information put 1 or 2. With the latter the icons are even bigger.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.